The Lake County Farm Bureau is offering an internship with the Lake County Farm Bureau Grayslake, Illinois for the summer of 2017. The intern will receive a $1,500 scholarship and is encouraged to explore the possibility of using the internship to fulfill academic requirements for his or her major. An applicant's summer schedule should allow them the flexibility to work half-days and attend two to three evening meetings whenever necessary.
Responsibilities of the Intern The person selected as an intern for the Lake County Farm Bureau would have the following responsibilities:
1. Diversified Farmer Newspaper- The Intern will assist in the production of the Lake County Farm Bureau Diversified Farmer Newspaper, including all aspects of feature writing, reporting on past and future Lake County activities, layout, advertising, etc.
2. Coverage of Farm Bureau activities- The Intern would be given the responsibility of reporting on various Farm Bureau activities throughout the term of the program. Press releases would be sent to area newspapers and printed in the Diversified Farmer.
3. Media Relations- During the course of the program, the Intern would assist in building better relations with the area newspapers and radio stations.
4. Public Relations- The Intern will assist in promoting Farm Bureau and its committees' activities at the Lake County Fair. The Intern may also develop materials that educate the public on the Lake County Farm Bureau and the Agriculture in the Classroom program.
5. Program Planning & Coordinating- The Intern will assist the Farm Bureau Manager and Information Director in planning and organizing several programs that take place during the course of the internship. Events include 2014 Educator Field Trips and Lake County Fair.
6. Other duties as deemed necessary by the Lake County Farm Bureau.
Schedule For Intern
1. Length of Internship: May thru August Approximately (Depending on school dates)
2. Time allotment: The individual would be required to work about 20 hours per week, this includes two to three night meetings and attendance at activities. The actual schedule will be flexible to suit the intern's availability.
This is the eleventh time the Lake County Farm Bureau has offered this internship program. Former interns have been from the University of Illinois, Bradley University, Illinois State University, Northern Illinois University, and many others.
Internship Program Highlights-
Tour farms and agribusiness in Lake, Cook and McHenry Counties.
Attendance at various Farm Bureau committee meetings.
Assistance with the June and August issues of the Diversified Farmer Newspaper.
Attendance at Regional Managers' meeting, District 2 meeting, or a state Farm Bureau function, if possible.
Attendance at Lake County Farm Bureau Board of Directors' meeting.
Attendance at the Lake County Fair
Field trip to IAA Building--if possible. Meeting with Member Services & Public Relations Division.
Advantages of the Program
The Intern gains valuable experiences in learning more about Farm Bureau® and affiliated companies while putting his/her education to work in a public relations or agriculturally related field. He/she also gains financial assistance and credit hours toward a degree--depending on institutional approval.
The credit hours that an individual could receive may vary from college to college. Credit hours in certain cases may not be realized until after the completion of the internship program. Applicants are encouraged to explore this possibility before interviewing.